Welcome to Cooking with Chef Jeff
Hi and welcome to my blog. Here you'll find meal ideas that are made from primarily whole natural foods. I try not to use any sugar or sweetener in any of the recipes. At the bottom of the page, you can see a list of the cookbooks that I use. I do vary some from the cookbooks, usually not a whole lot. Feel free to read along and even post some ideas/comments to help me to improve in the kitchen.
Monday, May 2, 2011
Ultra Meat Sauce and Spaghetti Squash
Dinner tonight was a very simple Spaghetti Squash with meat sauce. I'll break it down into 2 sections as that will make it a bit easier.
1 Spaghetti Squash
1. Cut Spaghetti Squash in half length-wise and scoop out the seeds and stuff
2. Put face down on a baking sheet covered in tin foil.
3. Bake for 375 for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the squash.
4. To test for when it is done, take the back of a spoon or fork and it should puncture the skin very easily.
5. Flip over and use a fork to shred out the spaghetti part and put in a bowl.
Ultra Meat Sauce
2 pounds ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 green pepper, diced
4 oz mushrooms, sliced (A can of mushrooms works fine)
15 oz can of tomato sauce (We use Hunts 100% natural)
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1. Brown and crumble the ground beef in a large skillet/pan.
2. When the grease starts to collect, add the onion, garlic, green pepper, and mushrooms.
3. Cook until onions and peppers are soft.
4. While the meat and veggies are cooking, put the tomato sauce in a pan and heat through, adding the seasoning and letting it simmer to mix the flavors. Some garlic would be good in the sauce too
5. Pour off the grease from the meat and add in the tomato sauce.
6. Serve the sauce over the Spaghetti squash and top with some Parmesian cheese if desired.
The Ultra Meat Sauce recipe was from Dana Carpender 500 LC Recipes Cookbook