Welcome to Cooking with Chef Jeff

Hi and welcome to my blog. Here you'll find meal ideas that are made from primarily whole natural foods. I try not to use any sugar or sweetener in any of the recipes. At the bottom of the page, you can see a list of the cookbooks that I use. I do vary some from the cookbooks, usually not a whole lot. Feel free to read along and even post some ideas/comments to help me to improve in the kitchen.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Thai-ish Chicken Basil Stir-Fry




Here's a nice, spicy Thai-ish Stir-Fry that our family really loved. I changed it up a bit from the recipe in the book.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp Thai fish sauce (I used Vietnamese Fish Sauce as that's what we had and it worked fine)
2 tbsp soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos (Braggs is my preference)
1 tsp Splenda (I skipped this)
1/4 tsp guar or xanthan
2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp hot chili oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 small onion, sliced
16 oz bag of frozen, crosscut green beans, thawed
2 tbsp non-sweetened coconut flakes

Directions:
1. Combine the fish sauce, liquid aminos (Soy Sauce), splenda (if used), and guar in a blender.
2. Blend for a few seconds and then add in the basil and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
3. Heat the peanut, coconut, and chili oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat.
4. Add in the Chicken, garlic, and onions and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
5. Add in the green beans and coconut flakes and cook until the chicken is finished.
6. Stir in the blended seasoning mixture, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.

The coconut flakes and 3 oil types (I really like the blend of those 3) were my additions. The chili oil gives it some nice heat. Next time I will also add in some mushrooms and top with either toasted sesame seeds or toasted walnuts. They will give it a bit of crunch.

This recipe was from Dana Carpenders 500 LC Recipe book.

No comments:

Post a Comment